How Often Should I Repaint My House – Residential Painting Services
This is a question we hear a lot at Century Painting. And the fact of the matter is that there is no universal answer. It will depend on the local climate, the kind of paint you used, what surfaces you are dealing with and how much wear and tear your paint has seen just to name a few factors. Contact us for Residential Painting Services.
But we know that this is a question heavy on the minds of many homeowners so we want to help out. In the following post, we are going to be talking about how often you should repaint as determined by different situations. Perhaps the most important consideration is interior vs. exterior…
How Often Should I Paint the Inside of my House?
In general, you should only need to repaint the interior rooms of your house every 5-7 years. But that’s only if you kept interior conditions optimal for paint life. Here are some qualifiers that will necessitate more frequent interior repainting:
- Light Saturation – If you flood your home with natural light, your paint can fade pretty quickly. UV light strips paint of pigmentation and cause the color to fade.
- High Traffic – Parts of your interior paint job that get touched or banged into a lot will certainly call for repainting quicker than other areas. Stairway walls, walls behind doors, and lower portions of walls where pets and small children can reach are considered high-traffic areas.
- Cooking and Humidity – Your kitchens and bathrooms are vulnerable to paint damage because of food splatters, smoke from cooking, and humidity buildup. You may need to repaint kitchens and bathrooms as often as every 3-4 years.
How Often Should I Paint the Outside of my House?
In general, it is recommended that you repaint the exterior of your home every 4-6 years. But there are extenuating circumstances to that general rule such as:
- Local Climate – If you live near the coast, you may have to repaint the exterior of your home every year. That’s because salt air and humidity can wreak havoc on exterior paint. Also, if you live in an area where the temperature fluctuates drastically, you may also have to repaint annually.
- Orientation – A lot of people care less about the back of their house than the front. So solar orientation comes into play. If the front of your house directly faces the sun in the morning or evening, you may want to repaint more often than usual.
- Paint and Application – The type of paint used by previous painters and the manner by which they applied it will also determine how often you should repaint. If acrylic paint was not used for the exterior, you should repaint sooner than 4-6 years. If only a single coat of paint was applied, you will surely have to repaint sooner than normal.
The Perfect Coat Inside and Out Residential Painting Services:
Here at Century Painting. We are determined to give your home the perfect coat of paint that will last the longest. Whether you hire us for interior or exterior painting in Charlotte, NC. Get a money-saving, long-lasting coat by contacting us today for Residential Painting Services.