Important Questions to Ask your Painting Contractor
As with most things in life, knowledge is power. Asking your prospective painting contractor the right questions will be the difference between an excellent job and a coat of paint that will have to be redone before it’s time.
We have been in the painting business for a very long time here at Century Painting. We have worked with a lot of different people on a lot of different projects. Some people know what to ask when getting an estimate for a project. Others don’t.
So we thought it would be beneficial to compose this list of important questions to ask when getting a quote for a painting project. These are the most important questions to ask your painting contractor:
- Are you insured? – Did you know that if a worker is hurt or injured on your property and the company you hired is not insured, you may be liable? That is why it is so important to make sure that the painting contractor you choose carries worker’s compensation insurance.
- What kind of paint do you use? – The quality of paint used on any project will usually dictate how long the coat will last. Be sure that your contractor is using premium paint for interior and exterior jobs.
- Do you have references? – Seeing believes. Seeing what your contractor is capable of with your own eyes goes a long way toward putting your mind at ease about the project. Ask to see pictures of their previous work and at least 5 references. You want to talk to as many people that have worked with the contractor before as you can. After all, a contractor could just be giving you the number of their aunts, cousins or friends.
- What kind of labor warranties do you offer? – Choosing a highly accountable painting contractor is crucial since the true quality of a paint job is usually not immediately evident. You need to ask specific questions about the duration of labor warranties and how the warranties will be honored. For instance, our company offers 90 days of free touch ups on qualifying projects. You should also get all warranty information and agreements in writing.
- Do you clean up? – Being left with a mess to clean up is very frustrating and time-consuming. It may seem like a given, but not all painting contractors clean up when the job is done. Even fewer clean up at the end of each day for projects that last multiple days. Be sure to ask whether or not they clean up when the work is done and how often they clean up.
- Do you give written estimates? – Last but not least, make sure any contractor you are considering hiring gives clear written estimates that detail labor cost, supplies cost and projected work duration. Written estimates will safeguard you from unscrupulous contractors that may try to jack up the price of the project upon completion. call us for Free estimates (704) 245-9409!
Keep these questions in mind the next time you are getting painting estimates or call us for an on-site, written estimate!